Friday, September 19, 2014

Cellphones in the Classroom?

Growing up in Ecuador, I wasn't fortunate enough to have the latest technological gadgets available.   I haven't even heard of them until I decided to move to America. Actually,  I don't remember even seeing one until I got to Orlando.
So when the topic of having them as tools of learning came up, I Immediately felt uninterested.  Cellphones? Not my classroom! What a liability, I thought! I have never been too fond of the idea anyway.  But something changed.  This week's readings pointed out some creative ways of incorporating them into our classroom.  Ways that are simple and easy to do and it guarantees' students engagement. 
In  " 40 Quick Ways To Use Mobile Phones In The Classroom", I was shown how I could potentially use all the tools the phone offers and integrate them into my teaching. Aside from the obvious like texting and the internet , grading was one of the best ways for me to utilize the cellphone.  I can't imagine being paper-free and having a software that can compute my students grades. For my students, there were a variety of ways they can use them in the class.  Some are: blogging, recording podcast, discussing and field research to name a few.  
I believe I am now ready to give cellphones a fair chance.  I can't wait to integrate this device to my learning environment and become part of the 21st Century Technology integrated Classroom. 

To access the article just click on the website - http://emergingtech.tbr.edu/40-quick-ways-use-mobile-phones-classrooms

Erica 

No comments:

Post a Comment