Friday, August 29, 2014

Obsolete?

Hi everyone,
My name is Erica Guzman-Adams and I am  taking a class called Fundamentals of Technology.  One of my assignments was to create a blog to write about the importance of technology in education.  Recently, I was assigned to read and reflect on a blog that was written by Ingvi Hrannar Ómarsson. The title is "14 Things That Are Obsolete In 21st Century Schools".
I was truly excited to read this blog.  The blog talks about the things that need to change in our schools in order to create more engaged and creative students.  It also provides examples of what schools should do instead. 
My favorite one is "Unhealthy cafeteria food is obsolete". I couldn't agree more.  We have made a lot of progress inside our schools' cafeterias.  I believe there are more healthy choices available for students and teachers.  Fresh fruits and some food made from scratch have made a significant progress towards a more balanced diet.   But more can be done!  Ómarsson points out the importance of creating healthy eating habits that our students can incorporate into their lives.   I like the idea of having students grow their own "window farm".
Another idea that he brings up is that "cellphones and tablets shouldn't be banned in school".  I have mixed emotions about this one.  While I can understand why he believes these devices could be very useful inside a school setting I am worried that they may not be used appropriately by the students and may be hard to monitor for the faculty. Personal devices should be away from the classroom. 
I enjoyed reading and learning from this blog.  I recommend you read it and come up with your own conclusions ( http://ingvihrannar.com/14-things-that-are-obsolete-in-21st-century-schools/).
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment